1.10.2011

Conflict Kitchen

No, not when I get all mad in the face because someone dumped all the clean pots and pans in a jumbled mess and rammed them into the cabinet.

Not when we're out of junky snacks and my 9 yr old has to nibble on  Club Crackers® to get him through the afternoon (yeah, we have Club Crackers.  The original.  We also have Wispride™).

And not even when it's Sunday night and that one, last, glass of wine I've been holding out for is.....(omg) g o n e.

This Conflict Kitchen is something entirely different, and something I thought was pretty brizilliant - pri-tay effin' cool.

In Pittsburgh, PA - "a take-out restaurant that only serves cuisine from countries that the United States is in conflict with".

Currently, the focus at this little stand is on Afghani food.  The Afghani food I've eaten (The Helmand, Khyber Pass) has always been outstanding.  Not entirely unlike Indian but with more layers of exotic fruits and nuts, pumpkin, lentils, and unheard-of seasonings.  And the first iteration of this take-out was origially Iranian cuisine.  I've had Persian cuisine.  Our own neighborhood coffeehouse serves Persian food - amazingly good Persian food, I might add.





And so back to the take-out stand in Steel City....not only are you served some mighty tasty, exotic food (so I've read) but the food is wrapped in beautifully designed paper that's covered with anecdotes and interviews from Afghanis.

Developed in collaboration with members of the Afghan community, our bolani comes packaged in a custom-designed wrapper that includes interviews with Afghans both in Afghanistan and the United States on subjects ranging from Afghan food and culture to the current geopolitical turmoil.

Bolani Pazi Food Wrapper



I'm all for exposure.  I'm all for culinary adventure.  And if comes in the form of a take-out stand that's affordable, casual, and street-friendly - that makes triple sense to me.

Check out more about this fascinating concept here.  

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails