2.06.2009

Happy Anniversary, Eustace Tilley, my Favorite New Yorker!

Happy 84 years New Yorker! My reason for giving up grown-up books, my commuting friend, my bedtime story-you, with your riveting articles, clever sense of humor, and breathtakingly sentimental anecdotes-I wish you a very heartfelt happy 84th. My your next 84 be as strong as your last.

Here you are, with your predictable enigmatic mascot, Eustace Tilley. Always with a monocle, always with the butterfly, but sometimes looking to the right or to the left. You are a very posh representation of the 1920's and I know that's your heritage. Still, nowadays it's not such a timely depiction. Maybe the covers offered up might have suited you better?


Eustace Tilley, New Yorker mascot and anniversary cover


“The Tilley that Dare Not Speak Its Name”
Dave Ortega
Somerville, Mass.



(This is my personal favorite.
Any reference to street artist Banksy gets high marks from me.)
“Eustace Banksy”
Marcus Thiele
Knoxville, Tenn.



“Eustace de Stijl-ley“
Erin Zingré
Fort Scott, Kan.

“A Walk in the Park”
Gary Amaro
Berkeley, Calif.


“Eustacia Titalley”
Krishna Chavda
Natick, Mass.

“Eustace.Mobi”
David Leonard
West Orange, N.J.



“NYC Taxi Eustace”

Eric Almendral
North Hollywood, Calif.



“Rorschach Tilley”

Marcus Thiele
Knoxville, Tenn
.



“Social Butterflies Get All the Looks”

Charlene Chua
Toronto, Ontario


“Eustace, the Undead New Yorker”

David Cook
Suwanee, Ga.


“Eustace Tilley XXL”

Adam Koford
Farmington, Utah



“Schach Treatment”
Stephen Price
Wantagh, N.Y.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails