(Greek Chicken Lemon Soup with Rice)
- 4 cups homemade chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups cooked white rice, warmed
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat pulled from the bones and coarsely shredded (1 pound)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
In a large saucepan, season the stock with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Transfer 1 cup of the hot stock to a blender. Add 1/2 cup of the rice, the egg yolks and the lemon juice and puree until smooth. Stir the puree into the simmering stock along with the chicken and the remaining 1 1/2 cups of rice and simmer until thickened slightly, 10 minutes. Stir in the dill and serve.
What's better than warm, eggy, lemony soup with the heartiness of chicken and rice on a tortuously wet and cold day?
(Unless of course you prefer draping yourself in a comforter and shuffling around in slippers while you try to find the room without the draft.....)