- 1 egg yolk or whole egg
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or sherry or white wine vinegar
- 1 cup neutral oil, like grapeseed or corn, or extra virgin olive oil, or a combination
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Put the yolk or egg, mustard, salt, pepper and lemon juice or vinegar in the container of a food processor and turn the machine on. While it's running, add the oil in a slow, steady stream. (Your food processor should have a teeny hole you may never have noticed in the insert -- the "food pusher" -- in the top; if it doesn't, you might want a different food processor.). When an emulsion forms you can add it a little faster. (Again, the little hole makes this unnecessary.) Add garlic. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.