6.17.2009

Authenticity found at Clear Flour

Some mornings it's all about a run, a swim, a bike ride. It's all about packing lunches, checking and double-checking back packs, and getting people out the door. I'm up at 5am and I'm down at 9pm.



And some mornings it's about s l o w m o v e m e n t s. . . . maybe with the Sunday NY Times or an old, unfinished crossword, or just sleepy-quiet kids. And the morning lingers until the afternoon. Like slow motion.



And it's these mornings that the only right thing to do for breakfast is a coffee and a croissant.


(image from paris breakfasts)


(image from svanes)

One would think that obtaining a decent, flaky, light, and buttery croissant in the Boston area would be easier than it is. I'll admit that my research in this quest covered maybe less than 25% of the bakeries in and around Brookline and Boston. And it's hard not to make some sweeping statement that all American bread blows (what, we're the third largest wheat producing country in the world and we still can't figure out well-made, affordable, well-baked bread?).

But after sampling croissants from A&J King, Athan's, Panificio, Canto 6, Hi-Rise, South End Formaggio, even Au Bon Pain, to name a select few I very nearly gave up on my search for this very basic French crescent roll.

(image from paris breakfasts)


Until I went to Clear Flour.



(image from mayambajak)

There are many more reasons to get to Clear Flour but if it's the authentic croissant that you are searching for, you will find it here.



Clear Flour is located at
178 Thorndike St. Brookline MA 02446
phone: 617.739.0060

Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm
Sat & Sun 9am - 7pm

They are open every day except Thanksgiving, the day after Thanksgiving,
Christmas, and the day after Christmas.


2 comments:

MaryBeth said...

I hate when people blog about the best croissant or any other food and it is too far for me to get immediately, I am positive I am going to die if I don't eat one right this minute. (Can you tell I am a drama queen?) I wish I could get in my car and drive to Clear Flour right now but since I can't I hope you and others will have an extra for me. xo, MB

72 and sunny said...

i love Clear Flour. I had forgotten all about it, tucked in there.

Related Posts with Thumbnails