2.18.2011

Fondue Fribourgeoise

image | saveurs du monde

Ooey-gooey.  Molten. Cheese lava.   If you're a dairy hound - like me, nothing beats cheese fondue in the winter.  It's not something I can have often - just once in a great while and usually following some marathon cross-country ski or hike or swim.  And usually with copious amounts of wine, really good friends, and maybe sore muscles.

So, I did my research.  Scoured old cookbooks.  Rummaged through the webs.  Called a Swiss friend (that happens to be from Fribourg), and found, what I believe to be, the most delicious and authentic recipe.  Actually it comes straight from food52 - so, full cred goes to rabino.

And then I asked my generous neighbor if she would generously loan her generous fondue pot our way.  She's really generous (and known to leave crazy-awesome home-baked goods at our door step).

image | food just now
 Comes from the Canton de Fribourg, in Switzerland, home of the Gruyere and Vacherin Cheeses. Most people have tried to innovate, modify, change or alter this simple and traditional fondue... They have all failed. In failing to stick to the basics... they tried to kill the legendary Swiss dish!! But this recipe will ensure it survives.

Fondue means melted... they meant it to be molten cheese only. No "deal breakers" like tomato, champignons, truffles or tourist-like ingredients. 


Traditional Fondue Fribourgeois - Legendary and Original

Serves 4
Ingredients:
  • 14 ounces cubed/shredded Gruyere cheese (preferably aged)
  • 14 ounces cubed/shredded Vacherin cheese
  • 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
  • 3 teaspoons Maizena or corn starch
  • 1 pinch Grated/powder nutmeg
  • 1 shot Kirsch (cherry brandy)
  • 2 pinches Ground pepper
  • 1 teaspoon minced, smashed or ground garlic
  • 400 milliliters Dry white wine (Fendant du Valais, Languedoc, Rhone,etc...)
Preparation:
  1. Rub the garlic onto the inside of the pan (ceramic pan), then remove the pieces, just leaving the "taste" of it.
  2. Warm up the wine in low fire
  3. Start by SLOWLY adding the cheese.... and stir vigorously, but slowly, IN ONE DIRECTION only. The cheese will start to melt.
  4. As the (molten) cheese starts to become uniform in consistency... add the nutmeg, and the pepper, and the lemon juice.
  5. Dilute the maizena in the kirsch (IMPORTANT!!). Add the shot of Kirsch with the maizena to the fondue, to give it viscosity. This is an important step. The secret is: if the maizena is not diluted in the Kirsch (or in the wine), as it hits the cheese, it will coagulate and create little "balls" in the cheese. Then you might as well try to cook something else!
  6. You are done. If the fondue is too liquid, add more maizena. If too thick add more wine.
  7. Cut the bread in pieces (french baguette or whole wheat bread, or both) and enjoy it! Remember not to drink water with the fondue. Only wine or hot tea. Fondue experts say that water will make the cheese lump up into a ball in the stomach... Recent critics have discovered that this is a myth, but I have chosen to ignore them and enjoy my wine with the Fondue. 

2 comments:

周奇 said...

My husband and I went to Basel Switzerland a month ago. That is where I had my very first cheese fondue in a place called Walliser Kanne. It was good, I only wish they put a little less salt. Next time, I want the Chocolate fondue with fruit....

Chichi

Karen @ BonjourBruxelles said...

Oh Chichi-lucky you! I have not been to Basel, but would love to. This fondue wasn't salty but I definitely felt like I could do without dairy for many days. Even felt like I had a little cheese coma the next day. And yes, Chocolate fondue next time!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails