3.13.2008

Bookish People

Maia reads a lot. In fact, we all read a lot. Mostly before bedtime. I can't seem to handle a book lately (ADD or something) so I'm all about mags. Scott's got a stack of books of history and books of non-fiction by his bedside while Colby has TinTin littered all about his room.

Don't get me wrong; you can find loads of fluff and pablum around. And I'll be the first to admit that I'd be happy to just look at the pictures instead of looking at all the letters. It. can. all. be. too. much.

So, back to Maia. She just read Holes, by Louis Sachar. I haven't read it but apparently it's a must read. Maia was thrilled about this book and was even more excited about this poem or song she found in it. Part One is in the beginning of the book, Part Two at the very end.

I thought it was pretty cool. Also cool to have a kid discover a poem on their own that they want to share with a parent.


(Part One)
If only, if only,
the woodpecker sighs,
“The bark on the tree was just a little bit softer.”
While the wolf waits below, hungry and lonely,
He cries to the moo-oo-oon,
If only, if only.
(Part Two)
If only, if only,
the moon speaks no reply;
Reflecting the sun and all that’s gone by.
Be strong my weary wolf, turn around boldly.
Fly high my baby bird,
My angel, my only.
-Louis Sachar
excerpt from Holes

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails